Minimum Documents Needed

You need at minimum:

  • A mortgage (which is the security instrument) and
  • A promissory note (which is the promise to repay the money and states what interest is payable, when payments are to be made etc.),
  • We also recommend you use an assignment of rent agreement. Even if the property is owner occupied now, they might move out and rent it. It would be useful to be entitled to collect the rent while you are foreclosing the loan.

View samples of these documents on this site.

In many states a deed of trust is used instead of a mortgage. This is quicker and usually less expensive to foreclose. Your title company, mortgage broker and/or attorney will advise you what is used in your state.